and tourist walk around Piégon
Historic and tourist walk around Mirabel aux Baronnies
and touris walk around Piégon
The area of Piégon has
been occupied since the Neolithic period (7000 BC - 2500 BC),
which was confirmed by the discovery of a flint cutting workshop
unearthed in 1980. In 1178, the Baron de Montauban, lord of
Mirabel, gave a part of the area called le Puy, located opposite
Mirabel, to a man named Gigone, in order to ensure he would be a
faithful vassal in case of conflict. Because of that we get the
name of the village of Piégon: PuyGigon.
In the sixteenth century,
farms were built outside the village, and still constitute the
bulk of the buildings. Its population reached 511 inhabitants in
1870, which regularly declined until there were only 262 people
in 2012. Built on a mound of clay, the old village was gradually
abandoned between 1880 and 1930, the buildings cracking and
collapsing little by little. Only a few sections of the castle
walls remain, and the bell tower, which still tolls the hours!
blond stones in a dazzling golden light, how can we not think
about what Mirabel was like in past times?
“History beckons us at every corner of its steep streets, at the
bend of the country lanes, at the crest of the hills where the
mistral roams, in the shade of ancient white oaks, all vibrating
with the harsh chirring of the cicadas which the passer-by
suddenly interrupts and which resumes, immediately, as soon as
he turns his back "
Claude Léone-Chanot, May 1988
Excerpt from "Mirabel aux Baronnies, a corner of paradise"